[packman] AMD Radeon 600 series, Leap 15.4, VLC DVD player

Masaru Nomiya nomiya at galaxy.dti.ne.jp
Sun Jan 8 10:06:15 CET 2023

Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : [packman] AMD Radeon 600 series, Leap 15.4, VLC DVD player
  Date & Time: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:00:35 +0200

[SS] == Steven Swart <steven.swart at gmail.com> has written:

[...]
SS>  This machine also has an HD BDROM drive that I sometimes used to play
SS>  regular DVDs with VLC. To do that under 15.3, all I had to do was install
SS>  the libdvdcss2 library. (I found a repo for that one.)

SS>  I have been down a big rabbit hole today trying to get VLC to play DVDs
SS>  under 15.4!

SS>  From what I understand, I need to install a package called mesa-vdpau. Then
SS>  I should be able to get it to work with the VDPAU drivers. (I would need to
SS>  set a couple of environment variables.)

SS>  However, from what I understand, support for this package has now been
SS>  dropped due to software patent concerns, and is no longer available for
SS>  Leap 15.4.

SS>  I have tried to play DVDs with both the packman and the flatpak versions of
SS>  Kodi, but no luck.

The cause of your problem is this;

  https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/1006922#request-creation

SS> However, I note that on my other 15.4 machine, this way works fine
SS> with a standard DVD drive.

This is because you are using Mesa before codecs were disabled in your
another machine.

SS>  All I need is a way to play regular DVDs under Leap 15.4 on this machine
SS>  with an HD BDROM drive.

SS>  Does anyone have any suggestions?

The solution is to build Mesa yourself with codecs enabled, which is
not difficult.

Regards.

---
┏━━┓彡 野宮  賢                         mail-to: nomiya @ galaxy.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛       "A bachelor’s degree still holds prestige as a ticket to the
	       middle class, but its value has received increasing scrutiny.
	       In the last several years, rising tuition and student loan debt
	       have led more Americans to reconsider an investment in
	       postsecondary education."

							-- Washington Post --