[packman] Problems with gstreamer-plugins-bad and related packages from Packman on TW

Bjørn Lie bjorn.lie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:46:53 CET 2022

fr., jan. 28 2022 at kl. 12.43 +0100 +0100 skrev Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas at telefonica.net> følgende:
> On 28/01/2022 12.28, Bjørn Lie wrote:
>> The way I have it
>> in my home repo here on pmbs, will allow users to just add packman
>> repo,
>> type zypper inr, and bad/ugly-extra packages and their deps will
>> automagically install. Why make it harder than it is needed to be?
>> Lets
>> provide endusers with as simple as possible and as few as possible
>> package that gives the functionality that they are after.
>
> This has a problem (doing the packman switch, aka zypper dup --from
> packman) for me.
>
> It resulted in getting "lazarus" switched from "OBS: Education" to
> "Packman", and I had to revert it when I found out.
>
> I don't know yet if other packages were affected.
>
> --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
> 		Carlos E. R.
> 		(from 15.3 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Where did you see me say you should do zypper dup --from packman?
This is the entire point, there should be no need to do dup (leaving
the ffmpeg and corresponding libs aside).

The meaning of the exercise was to manually switch the gstreamer
packages one have installed AWAY from packman, but leave in place
gstreamer-plugins-bad/ugly-orig-addon ones.

If you do zypper dup --from packman -> this will ofc lead to you
pulling in all the available packages inside the packman repo, no
matter where you currently have them installed.
Note that we have not currently changed anything ref bad/ugly on
packman - they are still available there.

/Bjørn