[packman] kaffeine vs tvheadend

Malcolm malcolmlewis at cableone.net
Sun Feb 7 16:44:54 CET 2016

On Sun 07 Feb 2016 09:17:54 AM CST, Malcolm wrote:

>On Sun 07 Feb 2016 12:33:33 PM CST, dave w wrote:
>
>>I have tried with TV headend and gave up because of problems getting
>>the permissions and users set up. I can only get it to run with the
>>--noacl option, even after going through the motions of setting up a
>>new user, the settings are ignored when demonised. The whole system
>>seems to be a complete mess when it comes to  permissions and access
>>control.
>>
>>What seems to the missing from the packman version is the ability to
>>set up the superuser.
>>
>>In the original Debian package the instructions state that you should
>>use dpkg-reconfigure and you will then be prompted to enter a super
>>user name and password. I have never managed to work out the
>>equivalent action on openSuse. My knowledge of the process is not good
>>enough to figure out if this is done as part of ./configure  and make
>>or if it is done when the rpm is unpacked.  If it is the first option
>>then I am never going to see the user set up when installing from rpm.
>>
>>I also noticed that openSuse have ver 4.0.8 and one update seems to be
>>a tvheadend-fix-daemon-user-group.patch
>>
>>Also seems to alter the etc/sysconfig settings
>>
>>-OPTIONS="-c /home/tvheadend/config -u tvheadend -g tvheadend -6
>>--http_port 9981 --htsp_port 9982" +OPTIONS="-c /home/tvheadend/config
>>-u hts -g video -6 --http_port 9981 --htsp_port 9982"
>>
>>At the moment, tvheadend is more of a plaything for me,  whereas
>>kaffeine is a very useful application for the rest of the family to
>>make the odd recording of tv shows and watch them later. I am not
>>aware of any other application that will allow me to record from DVB-S
>>and DVB-T at the same time , sometimes more than one program from the
>>same transponder.
>>
>>I wish that the kde4 version gained some of the features of the kde3
>>version and perhaps a tabbed dialog box for the channels when you have
>>more than one source.
>>
>>If I get time, I might try the tvheadend version from the open Suse
>>repository but I know I'm probably in for more trouble if I switch
>>vendor back to openSuse.
>>
>>Best Regards
>>Dave.
>
>Hi
>No issues here with tvheadend, yes it's a manual job for the superuser
>file in /home/tvheadend/config.

Hi
This thread on the forum will probably help as well....
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/510505-tvheadend-with-Hauppage-HVR-1600?highlight=tvheadend

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1|GNOME 3.10.4|3.12.51-60.25-default