[packman] FFmpeg library dependencies, interference with crippled distro packages

Martin Herkt lachs0r at srsfckn.biz
Thu May 21 10:07:39 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 20 May 2015 10:16:46 you wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, Martin Herkt wrote:
> > It would appear that the FFmpeg packages on Packman do not depend on the
> > correct versions. For example, if I install ffmpeg on a system which also
> > has the KDE:Extra repository enabled, zypp might install mismatched
> > versions of the dependencies, regardless of repository priority, due to
> > the KDE:Extra version having a higher build number. Why KDE:Extra even
> > publishes these binaries is another question.
>
> What repos do you have? I see ffmpeg in KDE:Applications,
> KDE:Unstable:Applications and KDE:Unstable:Frameworks. Since the ffmpeg
> in OBS is independent from ffmpeg in PMBS there may be confusion.

I think it was KDE:Unstable:Applications and KDE:Unstable:Frameworks.
But this can also happen with just Tumbleweed, actually. Packman just happens
to have a higher build version right now.

> It would be difficult, but not impossible, to make each package from
> packman require the packages used during build. So far noone has done
> that work.

Probably should be done though. Or should it be fixed in zypp?
For example, if I use zypper in --from Packman, it doesn’t try to get
dependencies from Packman but just uses whatever has the highest version.
IMO it should really try to get dependencies from the same vendor…