[packman] Mesa VA-API driver does not contain AV1/VP9 codecs

Masaru Nomiya nomiya at lake.dti.ne.jp
Tue Apr 9 09:48:12 CEST 2024

Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : [packman] Mesa VA-API driver does not contain AV1/VP9 codecs
  Date & Time: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:15:27 +0300

[AR] == Alexey Rochev <equeim at gmail.com> has written:

AR>  Current Mesa packages (Mesa-libva-24.0.3-1699.372.pm.2.x86_64) do not
AR>  report AV1 or VP9 support. vainfo outputs:

AR>  Trying display: wayland
AR>  libva info: VA-API version 1.20.0
[...]
AR>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
AR>       VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
AR>       VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
AR>       VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
AR>       VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointEncSlice
AR>       VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>       VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc

Indeed, this means that VP9 encoding in VA-API is not supported, but
encoding in H.264 and HEVC is supported in VA-API.

Same result on my Intel laptop with Mesa provided by Tumbleweed;

Trying display: wayland
Trying display: x11
Not using hybrid_drv_video.so
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.20 (libva 2.20.1)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile - 2.4.1
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD

AR>  They are definitely supported by hardware, and official openSUSE
AR>  packages contain them:

AR>  Trying display: wayland
AR>  libva info: VA-API version 1.20.0
AR>  libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
AR>  libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_20
AR>  libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
AR>  vainfo: VA-API version: 1.20 (libva 2.20.1)
AR>  vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 24.0.3 for AMD Radeon RX
AR>  6700 XT (radeonsi, navi22, LLVM 18.1.2, DRM 3.57, 6.8.1-1-default)
AR>  vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
AR>      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>      VAProfileVP9Profile2            : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>      VAProfileAV1Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD
AR>      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
[...]

Is this a partial excerpt?

And please show the results of vdpauinfo.

Regards.

---
┏━━┓彡 Masaru Nomiya                      mail-to: nomiya @ lake.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛  "Companies have come to view generative AI as a kind of monster that
	  must be fed at all costs―even if it isn’t always clear what exactly
	  that data is needed for or what those future AI systems might end up
	  doing."

        -- Generative AI Is Making Companies Even More Thirsty for Your Data --