[packman] Inquiry on Mirroring Packman Repositories and Seeking Official Synchronization

Marc Schiffbauer marc at links2linux.de
Mon Jul 22 14:15:56 CEST 2024

* mirrors(SNG 腾讯云软件源) schrieb am 12.07.24 um 03:02 Uhr:
> Dear Packman Team,
>
> Greetings!

Hi motorao,

as one of the founders of packman I am answering you here and trying to
clarify thing for you.

First of all: Thanks for asking!

> My name is motorao and I am reaching out on behalf of TencentCloud.
> Our team has been providing a mirror service for the Packman software
> repositories(https://mirrors.tencent.com/packman/), aiming to
> enhance accessibility and speed for our local user community. However,
> we have not identified any explicit statements on your website that
> address or permit the synchronization and redistribution of your
> content by third parties.

This is nice!

> Given our commitment to compliance, we are reaching out for
> clarification and to seek official guidance. Specifically, we are
> interested in:
> 1. Whether we have the authorization to legally
>    synchronize and proxy the Packman software repositories.
> 2. Understanding any specific compliance requirements or
>    authorization processes we must follow.
> 3. Receiving any official terms of use or authorization documents that
>    would validate our synchronization efforts.

We are happy to have mirrors. The more, the better. At this point we
have some "official" mirrors. These are mentioned in the MIRRORS file
you can finde in the repo or at http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors

> Additionally, we are curious if there is a recommended method or best
> practice for repository synchronization that is endorsed by
> Packman(is this rsync url officially served
>rsync://mirror.karneval.cz/packman/). Knowing the official stance
> and recommended practices would greatly assist us in ensuring that our
> mirror service aligns with Packman's standards and policies.
>
> We are dedicated to respecting intellectual property and copyright
> laws and are committed to operating within the boundaries of any
> permissions granted. We hope to establish a cooperative relationship
> with the Packman team and contribute positively to the community.
>
> Thank you for considering our request. We eagerly await your guidance
> on this matter.

My suggestion is you become an official mirror! You will get
rsync-access to the primary repo so you can be sure to be really
up-to-date.

We provide a little shell-script to primary mirrors that will include
all required commands to setup and run the mirror smoothly.

Because initial sync can be slow it is very good, that you have all the
mirror-data already, so you do not need to start from scratch.

Please drop me an email to my address and we can then setup everything.

Cheers
-Marc