[packman] Kodi Tumbleweed symbol not found error - Kodi won't start!

Steven Swart steven.swart at gmail.com
Sat May 20 18:30:15 CEST 2023

Greetings, Packmans!

Just a quick report back. Installing the new Packman version of the
ProjectM music visualiser addon still didn't solve my problem. I was still
getting this:

steven at linux-ll3r:~> kodi
/usr/lib64/kodi/kodi.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/kodi/kodi.bin:
undefined symbol:
_ZN6spdlog7details7log_msgC1ENS_10source_locEN3fmt2v917basic_string_viewIcEENS_5level10level_enumES6_

So, upon investigation, this was the problem. I checked which version of
libfmt10 I had installed:

steven at linux-ll3r:~> zypper info libfmt10
Reading installed packages...

Information for package libfmt10:
---------------------------------
Repository     : devel:libraries:c_c++
Name           : libfmt10
Version        : 10.0.0-54.1
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : obs://build.opensuse.org/devel:libraries:c_c++
Installed Size : 135.5 KiB
Installed      : Yes (automatically)
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : fmt-10.0.0-54.1.src
Upstream URL   : http://fmtlib.net/
Summary        : A formatting library for C++
Description    :
    Shared library for fmt, a formatting library for C++.

Decided to try and remove that package, and got the following:

steven at linux-ll3r:~> sudo zypper rm libfmt10
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 4 packages are going to be REMOVED:
  fmt-devel libfmt10 libspdlog1_11 spdlog-devel

So, I cancelled that operation.

I started YaST Software and checked. The version of spdlog I had installed
was from obs://build.opensuse.org/devel:libraries:c_c++, namely: 1.11.0-1.8.

So, I switched that over to the OpenSUSE Factory version, as follows:

steven at linux-ll3r:~> zypper info libspdlog1_11
Reading installed packages...

Information for package libspdlog1_11:
--------------------------------------
Repository     : openSUSE:Factory
Name           : libspdlog1_11
Version        : 1.11.0-1.2
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : openSUSE
Installed Size : 418.4 KiB
Installed      : Yes
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : spdlog-1.11.0-1.2.src
Upstream URL   : https://github.com/gabime/spdlog
Summary        : C++ logging library
Description    :
    A header-only/compiled, C++ logging library.

    * Asynchronous mode (optional)
    * Multi/Single threaded loggers.
    * Various log targets (rotating/daily files, console, with colors,
      syslog, custom target)

Tested Kodi, and all now working properly! Also, this version of the addon
seems a lot faster and more responsive on my system than the older Flatpak
version I had been using previously!

So, it would seem to me that if libfmt10 is installed, Kodi will use it,
regardless of whether libfmt9 is available.

Masaru said:

The reason is that fmt has been updated to 10.0.0.
kodi does not support this fmt at the moment, so the only solution is
to install the libfmt9.

And, Manfred said:

where do you find fmt 10.0.0? openSUSE:Factory still has 9.1.0.

I am not a maintainer, but perhaps this means that the Kodi requires should
change, and maybe that Kodi itself needs to be built against libfmt10?

In other news, I now have a Leap 15.4 machine running the ProjectM
visualiser as well, and another Leap 15.4 machine that I plan to install it
on at some stage.

All in all, a big win all around for all SUSE users who use Kodi, thank you
so much, Manfred! :-)

Kind regards,
Steven.