[packman] Build latest mythtv RPM package 0.32

James Bottomley jejbpm at hansenpartnership.com
Fri Jan 6 13:58:50 CET 2023

On Thu, 2023-01-05 at 14:38 -0600, Kevin Wambsganz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> I looked through the packman repository for mythtv 0.32, but I found
> no leap release that has that version of mythtv.
>
> Mythtv 0.32 was released on Feb 23 2022.  See
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/

I've been looking at it.

https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/show/home:jejb1:PackMan/mythtv

The big problem is that python2 has bitrotted on openSUSE (and actually
every modern distribution) to the extent that it can't build mythtv
anymore, so the only viable way forward is to move to python3.  The
tradoff other distros (like Debian Multimedia) have made to make this
happen is to drop MythNetvision, which no-one seems to be able to get
built with python 3 thanks to its reliance on obsolete packages that
weren't forward ported.