[packman] Problems with OBS Studio on TW

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Apr 18 19:50:16 CEST 2023

Am Montag, 17. April 2023, 14:25:11 CEST schrieb kocelfc at tutanota.com:
> I had neither libavdevice59 or libspeexdsp1 installed. I've added Packman by
> installing opi and then running opi codecs. Looks like libavdevice59 is
> needed by ffmpeg-5 but I only have ffmpeg-6 which provides libavdevice60.
> Maybe you just have to bump the versions on the obs package and rebuild it
> against ffmpeg 6?

It's not that easy. With a new version of ffmpeg, typically function
signatures change, and minor behavioural changes could lead to hard to explain
dysfunctionality in a complex application like this (regarding video
processing).

We should really adhere to common grounds, that received the most test
coverage, and that is ffmpeg-5 for now.

> Not sure. I also didn't have libspeexdsp1 installed, but
> OBS launches without it fine, so not sure if it should be a hard dependency
> or only a "Recommends".

Well, you will have issues to use filters properly then.

The reason, that led to these missing dependencies is, that there are some
naming overlaps of plugin libraries with system libraries, e.g.:
/usr/lib64/obs-plugins/libvulkan.so.1

rpm would record a provides for this library, that will not be useful outside
of obs-studio of course and confuse other installations, that require the real
libvulkan.

Another reason is, that some libraries are dynamically loaded (dl-opened).

Therefore the AutoReqProv functionality of rpm must be disabled for the
plugins, and their deps must be handled manually.

> And yes, the package I had to install was libqt5-qtwayland.

Thanks, noted.

Unfortunately, you didn't answer my question about how you installed obs-
studio. I'm not familiar with opi, but if you install obs-studio properly, you
get something similar to:

$ zyp in obs-studio
[...]
Selecting 'obs-studio-29.0.2-1599.1.pm.9.x86_64' from repository 'Packman' for
installation.
Resolving package dependencies...
Force resolution: No

The following 3 recommended packages were automatically selected:
  libinput-udev          1.23.0-1.1
  libqt5-qttranslations  5.15.8+kde0-1.2
  zeromq-tools           4.3.4-4.2

The following 88 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  libaom3                3.6.0-1.2
  libavcodec59           5.1.2-1599.19.pm.6
  libavformat59          5.1.2-1599.19.pm.6
  libavutil57            5.1.2-1599.19.pm.6
[...]

I checked in some manual deps for the other libs, you mentioned.
A new build is on the way, thanks boombatower.

Cheers
Pete