[packman] yt-dlp 2022.08.08 broken on 15.3

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 12 12:12:49 CEST 2022

Hi,

On Fri, 2022-08-12 at 18:30 +0900, Masaru Nomiya wrote:
:

> In the Changelog of yt-dlp, it is written as follows;
>
>      ### 2022.08.08
>
>      * **Remove Python 3.6 support**
>
> So, I tried to build yt-dlp with python 3.8, the I could get yt-dlp rpm.
> That is, the build requirement is python 3.8 or higher.

Luigi made the successful submit request sr#994385 in OBS for the change
to use python 3.9 for all versions older than Tumbleweed, in fact all
distributions since 15.0 (he mentioned that earlier).
We at PMBS build several packages linked to OBS sources, where there are
some changes needed with respect to limitations, which OBS cannot
provide, eg. legal causes or the like, we build the source with the
respective modifications.

> I can't understand why packman requires python 3.9 or higher.
> Moreover,
>
>   1. I think python 3.9 is the development version
>
> and,
>
>   2. The following repo has the stable version of python 3.10
>
>    https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/python/15.3/
>
>    ↑__  I have not checked if all modules are available here.

Python 3.9 is available via the official update channel to at least 15.3
and 15.4 as packages python39*. yt-dlp requires now at least python 3.8,
so version 3.9 is the closest fit we can manage. Python 3.10 ist not
(perhaps yet) available for Leap.

We build packages in a way, that there are no outside dependencies for
packages installed from packman. The term "outside" includes everything,
which is not provided by PMBS itself, or the distribution repository and
their respective update repositories. There is no possibility to build
packages, which are not in these repositories.
Your choice of python 3.10 resides in a different repository, which is
not configured in a vanilla openSUSE Leap 15.x installation with added
Packman repo. We have to stick with 3.9.

> I don't know the merit of upgrading to python 3.10 for the sake of
> yt-dlp, but in general, I think there is merit in doing so as more
> and more applications are being developed in python.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, you can have multiple
versions of python installed, an this is handled using the alternative
mechanism, so apart from a little additional disk space no harm is done,
and you can use yt-dlp.

> However, this is a troubling problem for regular releases such as
> leap, isn't it?

Probably :)

Greetings,

Stefan