[packman] yt-dlp 2022.08.08 broken on 15.3

Masaru Nomiya nomiya at galaxy.dti.ne.jp
Fri Aug 12 11:30:16 CEST 2022

Hello,

I found your e-mails in the gmails junk folder.

In the Message;

  Subject    : Re: [packman] yt-dlp 2022.08.08 broken on 15.3
  Date & Time: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 15:01:18 +0200

[LB] == Luigi Baldoni <aloisio at gmx.com> has written:

LB>  Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 1:37 PM
LB>  From: "Masaru Nomiya" <nomiya at galaxy.dti.ne.jp>

LB>>>  Keep an eye on sr#994385.

MN>> Sorry, but what is sr#994385?

MN>> Maybe you want to say there is a bug, but it's not a bug.

LB>  yt-dlp is linked from OBS. I sent an update that forces python 3.9 on Leap, once
LB>  https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/994385 will be accepted into Factory,
LB>  the packman package will also be rebuilt and work. It's a matter of patience.

In the Message;

  Subject    : Re: [packman] yt-dlp 2022.08.08 broken on 15.3
  Date & Time: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 22:06:17 +0200

[OH] == Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de> has written:

OH>  [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
OH>  Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:32:01 +0200 Luigi Baldoni <aloisio at gmx.com>:

OH>  > Keep an eye on sr#994385.

OH>  This works only Leap 15.4, which happens to have python39-devel.
OH>  But there is no such package in SP4. SLE-Module-Python3-15-SP4
OH>  has only 3.10.

OH>  I think an additional change should enforce python310-devel for
OH>  "0%{?sle_version} > 150300", and perhaps drop the -xml pkg in all
OH>  cases.

Thanks.

In the Changelog of yt-dlp, it is written as follows;

     ### 2022.08.08

     * **Remove Python 3.6 support**

So, I tried to build yt-dlp with python 3.8, the I could get yt-dlp rpm.
That is, the build requirement is python 3.8 or higher.

I can't understand why packman requires python 3.9 or higher.
Moreover,

  1. I think python 3.9 is the development version

and,

  2. The following repo has the stable version of python 3.10

   https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/python/15.3/

   ↑__  I have not checked if all modules are available here.

I don't know the merit of upgrading to python 3.10 for the sake of
yt-dlp, but in general, I think there is merit in doing so as more
and more applications are being developed in python.

However, this is a troubling problem for regular releases such as
leap, isn't it?

---
┏━━┓彡   Masaru Nomiya                  mail-to: nomiya @ galaxy.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛       "A bachelor’s degree still holds prestige as a ticket to the
	       middle class, but its value has received increasing scrutiny.
	       In the last several years, rising tuition and student loan debt
	       have led more Americans to reconsider an investment in
	       postsecondary education."

							-- Washington Post --