[packman] Packmann OpenSuSE Leap repository still down

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Sat Mar 27 19:37:15 CET 2021

Hi there,

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021, 18:58:03 +0100, Giacomo Comes wrote:
> Hi,
> in order to make a service to everybody, I checked the current status
> of the packman mirrors listed in http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors
>
> 				http	ftp	rsync
> packman.inode.at		down	down	down
> mirrors.hust.edu.cn		up	NA	down
> mirror.karneval.cz		up	up	up
> packman.jacobs-university.de	up	up	up
> ftp.fau.de			up	up	NA
> ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de	up	up	up
> ftp.gwdg.de			up	up	up
> ftp.twaren.net			up	up	NA
> ftp.yzu.edu.tw			down	down	down
>
> Being packman.inode.at the first in the list, it is probably
> common for people to select that one.

yes, you're right, that's really not good. I think, though, that it is a
common understanding atm that packman.inode.at is not usable at all -
just search the archives of this mailing list for packman.inode.at...

> And the fact that it is down (I think since a couple of months)
> it is causing several complains.

Again, ignore packman.inode.at for now! I'm really not sure who can
control the page at <http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors>, but I
always tried the various servers myself, before I used them in the URL
for zypper!

> Actually packman.inode.at is not down, is the access to the packman
> area that does not work.

Yeah, but what is it worth it then? Ignore it - full stop!

FWIW, I use mirror.karneval.cz since quite some time, and since it
recovered from the mirroring issue caused by the expired Multimedia key,
it is as stable and reliable as it can be!

> On a side note, is there an estimate time about when the normal
> rpm will be available for leap 15.3 (not the debugsource/debuginfo
> currently available)?

Reading between the lines, following what's available on the various
hosts (i.e. packman.links2linux.org), one should be able to find this
out, but this might/will cause lots of load on Stefan's servers
(bandwidth wise), so I'm not sure I should disclose this here and now.
It's probably not available on the mirror servers because Leap 15.3 is
still in beta.

> Regards.
> Giacomo

HTH, cheers.