[packman] https:// packman mirrors can't be used with Squid proxy

jimc jimc at jfcarter.net
Mon Mar 1 21:05:40 CET 2021

I have a small net of 10 hosts, and I update them from
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
(also packman.inode.at) through a Squid proxy, squid-4.14 .
This used to work, but starting about 2012-02-27 I get responses
of 403 Forbidden.  It looks like the mirror webserver rewrites
the URL from http://hostname/ to https://hostname/, the client
(Zypper) follows the 302 Found response, and Squid replies 403
Forbidden.  It's supposed to be possible to configure Squid to
act as a "man in the middle", generating a fake server
certificate certified by a fake Certificate Authority that the
client is supposed to trust.  But a sysadmin whose paranoia is
sufficient for the job wouldn't touch the fake cert concept with
a 3 meter pole!

Could Packman (specifically its mirrors) please return to
serving requests to http://packman.../ directly rather than
rewriting to https?  Thank you.

James F. Carter   Email: jimc at jfcarter.net
Web: http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)