[packman] Kodi vs. Tumbleweed - needs some changes...

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Fri Jul 30 15:14:59 CEST 2021

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021, 14:04:52 +0200, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> perhaps you've already seen that Kodi doesn't build for Tumbleweed
> anymore <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/Multimedia/kodi>
>
> The first failure could be worked around by using an internal version
> of the "fmt" package; this is what I did with revision 78
> <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/revisions/Multimedia/kodi>.
>
> Recently Tumbleweed introduced spdlog-1.9.1 which doesn't work with
> Kodi's internal version of "fmt". An attempt to replace the external
> "spdlog" with an internal one, too, then failed in PMBS probably due to
> a race condition in the build process. I could build it successfully on
> my local system (which is running "make -O -j8"), but in PMBS "make"
> will only run sequentially ("make -O -j1") - which leads to an attempt
> to use the internal <spdlog/spdlog.h> while it hasn't been built and
> installed at that time.
>
> While I'm sure the bug should be fixed in Kodi's sources, I have to
> admit that my C++ knowledge is probably too rusty in the meantime. So I
> decided to create two TW specific helper packages in my home repo on
> PMBS and built Kodi successfully for Tumbleweed:
>
>   <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/home:manfred.h/A_TW-fmt>
>   <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/home:manfred.h/A_TW-spdlog>
>   <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/home:manfred.h/kodi>
>
> Could someone with the necessary permissions please create two new
> packages in the Multimedia repo on PMBS?
>
>   A_TW-fmt linking to openSUSE.org:openSUSE:Leap:15.3:Update/fmt
>   A_TW-spdlog linking to openSUSE.org:openSUSE:Leap:15.3:Update/spdlog
>
> When that is done, we could probably remove the internal version of
> "fmt" again.

and indeed, my version at

  <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/home:manfred.h/kodi>

now does not have the internal "fmt" package anymore and it built
successfully for Tumbleweed! Assuming someone will create the two
A_TW-... packages, I'm now going to submit the changes for Kodi to
Multimedia.

Cheers.

l8er
manfred