[packman] [SOLVED] Please update Flash

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Mon Feb 3 11:20:50 CET 2020

Am Montag, 3. Februar 2020, 09:39:11 CET schrieb Rodney Baker:
> On Monday, 3 February 2020 18:27:13 ACDT Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > Am 03.02.20 um 01:34 schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
> > >
> > > Thanks for updating Flash to 32.0.0.314-lp151.1.1, this solves my>
> > > problem
> > > (for the time being). ;-)
> >
> > Next time, it's your turn to do it... I will not do it again.
>
> It is worth noting that there are a number of industrial (and other) control
> systems that run on secure networks that still (unfortunately) rely on
> Flash. For example, FLIR Systems FLUX video incident detection systems used
> in road transport industry - the user interface is Flash-based and I'm not
> aware of any plans to update it to HTML5 (sadly).
>
> VMWare Vsphere is also Flash-based, although the new versions have both
> HTML5 and Flash GUI's - unfortunately there are some operations that can
> only be performed through the Flash interface because they're not yet
> implemented in HTML5.
>
> I'm fairly sure there are also SCADA applications based on Flash, as well as
> Java (for better or worse).
>
> It's almost getting to the point where the only way to use these systems is
> using obsolete Internet Explorer 11 on Windows. I know Flash is a security
> nightmare, but Flash on IE11 is even more so.

While I share your sentiments, my gut feeling is, that you bark at the wrong
tree here. Everybody, who is suffering from this disease has two options:

 * help with keeping the package up to date
 * complain loudly at the manufacturers, that still depend on this shit

Packman isn't a industrial strategy agency, it just covers your ass.

Cheers,
Pete