[packman] [SOLVED] Please update Flash

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 3 09:39:11 CET 2020

On Monday, 3 February 2020 18:27:13 ACDT Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> Am 03.02.20 um 01:34 schrieb Tony Mechelynck:
> > Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> In case this remains true and flash-player will not get updated in PMBS,
> >> it will make your live easier, as the only flash-player user left, to
> >> become the maintainer of Essentials/flash-player and do further updates
> >> yourself.>
> > Sorry, I'm not competent. But a January thread "[packman] [PM]
> > flash-player 32.0.0.303-lp151.1.1 (openSUSE_Leap 15.1/x86_64)" started
> > by Michael Schueller shows that I'm not the only user of Packman's
> > Flash packages for openSUSE, and in particular of the Flash plugin for
> > Mozilla browsers.
> >
> > Thanks for updating Flash to 32.0.0.314-lp151.1.1, this solves my> problem
> > (for the time being). ;-)
> Next time, it's your turn to do it... I will not do it again.

It is worth noting that there are a number of industrial (and other) control
systems that run on secure networks that still (unfortunately) rely on Flash.
For example, FLIR Systems FLUX video incident detection systems used in road
transport industry - the user interface is Flash-based and I'm not aware of
any plans to update it to HTML5 (sadly).

VMWare Vsphere is also Flash-based, although the new versions have both HTML5
and Flash GUI's - unfortunately there are some operations that can only be
performed through the Flash interface because they're not yet implemented in
HTML5.

I'm fairly sure there are also SCADA applications based on Flash, as well as
Java (for better or worse).

It's almost getting to the point where the only way to use these systems is
using obsolete Internet Explorer 11 on Windows. I know Flash is a security
nightmare, but Flash on IE11 is even more so.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
CCNA #CSCO12880208