[packman] Upcoming changes for PMBS

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 3 15:14:04 CEST 2019

Hi packman's,

as hinted already over the past days and weeks, there are changes ahead.

At the moment PMBS and the bulk of the x86_64 workers are kindly
provided and hosted by my current employer, Jacobs University Bremen,
composing of legacy hardware and storage, including rack space, power
and Internet connection.

I will leave Jacobs University by the end of the month, and thus will
not have the opportunity to host PMBS with the University anymore. Also,
as the IT department is small, and no other Linux enthusiast stays
behind, I am sad to announce several changes to Packman's build
environment.

The good news right now: PMBS will survive!
I will move PMBS to my own server hosted at a prime hosting company.
Also I will try to find a replacement for the jacobs-university.de-
mirror.

What we will lack is build-power.
At the moment we already have build workers, which are provided by
users, these are mainly for aarch64 and armv7l.
We probably will need additional workers for x86_64, but lets see to
that, once PMBS is moved.

I will try to move PMBS during the next two weeks. There will be an
extended downtime needed, to move the approx. 750GB to the new server.
There are also several changes in DNS and publishing mechanisms needed,
for which I have to coordinate with Marc.

When I have a more definitive schedule, I will notify you.

Changes ahead!
Greetings,

Stefan
--