[packman] SMPlayer OK, green screen on VLC [solved]

Martin Herkt lachs0r at srsfckn.biz
Thu Oct 5 21:50:07 CEST 2017

On 2017 M10 5, Thu 21:00:02 CEST Felix Miata wrote:
> Martin Herkt composed on 2017-10-05 14:17 (UTC+0200):
> > Felix Miata wrote:
> >> Hans-Peter and Rob got me going some days ago with .ts files made from
> >> one
> >> of the two FTA DVB sources I most often record, by changing in VLC
> >> preferences video output from automatic to OpenGL GLX video output:
> >> http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermail/packman/2017-September/015398.html
> >>
> >> From my other primary source, SMPlayer produces expected video, but VLC
> >> (either OSS version or Packman version 2.2.6-8.1.x86_64) usually outputs
> >> only green, sometimes green with a bunch of blotching as if source was
> >> inadequate. If I change back from OpenGL GLX video output to automatic,
> >> then output is a constant flashing back & forth between green screen &
> >> expected output.
> >
> > Uninstall libvdpau_va_gl1.
>
> This fixed it. Thank you! The answer was already in openSUSE forums, but my
> Google-Fu wasn't good enough to find it. :-p
>
> https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/506960-Black-screen-in-vlc April
> 2015 https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/519716 August 2016
>
> > Disable hardware decoding if problem persists.
>
> Wasn't necessary.

FWIW, mpv blacklists VA-API wrappers like vdpau-va-gl unless the user
explicitly selects them because they are generally very broken:
https://git.srsfckn.biz/mpv/tree/video/vdpau.c?id=v0.27.0#n616
https://git.srsfckn.biz/mpv/tree/video/decode/vd_lavc.c?id=v0.27.0#n417

Might be worth filing a VLC bug since it should support both VDPAU and VA-API,
and decode API wrappers should never be preferred. Also, libvdpau_va_gl1
should never ever be installed by default, but that’s a topic for a different
mailing list.