[packman] Kodi+42.3+SMB - does it work for someone? repeatedly? reproducably?

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Thu Aug 3 20:21:47 CEST 2017

Hi there,

I believe I have some very strange phenomenon here. I upgraded my 42.2
boxes using "zypper dup --no-recommends; zypper dup --no-recommends
--from packman.essentials --from packman.multimedia" to an up2date Leap
42.3 installation. From what I can tell, everything works as before, but
Kodi _most_ of the times is having problems to access my
Picture/Music/Video shares imported from some of my internal servers.
All internal PCs use the same class-C network, and this class-C network
is added to FW_TRUSTED_NETS, so I _think_ that all internal traffic
should just go through - this is how it used to work on 42.2, 42.1,
13.2, 13.1, ...

However, when I start Kodi on any of the new machines, it happens in
_most_ cases, that access to those pre-defined shares just hangs the
program. I ran "tcpdump" from another not-involved computer to just
track the traffic between the client and the host, but I cannot see any
difference to what happens on 42.2. Disabling the SuSEfirewall2 and
rebooting the client makes it work, like it did before. I checked all
potential settings of SF2 regarding broadcasts, trusted nets, netbios
etc., but nothing has a persistent benefit. What's worse it, sometime it
starts and works well once, but when the program gets restarted it hangs
again. In the meantime I made a copy of a _working_ ~/.kodi directory,
and comparing its content with the one that fails, only shows binary
diffs in the usual media DB files. FWIW, rebooting into 42.2 or 42.1 and
starting Kodi with the exact same ~/.kodi directory simply works without
any trouble.

Does accessing SMB shares over the internal net (host and client may
even reside on the same host) work repeatedly and consistently for
others on a configuration similar to the following one?

  - Leap 42.3 x86_64 with or without PulseAudio (I actually have one
    dedicated installation for DTS and the like without PA)
  - all packages dup'ed from Packman.Essentials and Packman.Multimedia
  - kodi-17.3-2.1.x86_64
  - SF2 enabled
  - Samba shares enabled

FWIW2, clicking on the "Add source->Windows (SMB)" goes into an endless
loop with one core running at 100% utilization.

I am completely uncertain whether this is a Kodi bug or something is
wrong with SF2; but, as all other Multimedia programs using SMB (such as
Rhythmbox) simply work OK as before, I thought I'd ask for other
experiences.

TIA, cheers.

l8er
manfred