[packman] New packages for packman (Walter Fey) (Walter Fey)

Martin Pluskal martin at pluskal.org
Thu Aug 3 11:05:23 CEST 2017

On Thu, 2017-08-03 at 09:47 +0200, Luigi Baldoni wrote:
> Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 at 12:23 AM
> From: "Walter Fey" <dl8fcl at darc.de>
> >
> > I agreed to this and informed him, that due to serious legal
> > concerns,
> > I cannot publish the copyright remark that is pointing to SUSE
> > LINUX GmbH,
> > Nuernberg, Germany without a  written approval from this company.
>
> This is the part I understand the least.
> What would be the legal ramifications or even just the risks in
> attributing copyright to a third party? Or is mentioning a trademark
> that
> concerns you?
>
> Furthermore, you wouldn't even have to use the "Copyright SUSE GmbH"
> line.
> Several other packagers just put in their name, current year and
> everyone
> who adds something to it would add his own.

I also do not understand this - and in hardware:sdr some packages have
copyright attributet to SUSE, some just author of package, some both.

Apart from this I fail to understand resistance to having hamradio in
Leap and Factory as seen in [1] - there is nothing preventing creation
of maintenance updates updating packages released in Leap if there is
sound reason for doing so, and for Factory - it is by definition kept
up to date.

1. https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/477291