[packman] New packages for packman (Walter Fey)

martin at pluskal.org martin at pluskal.org
Wed Aug 2 10:08:04 CEST 2017

On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 21:41 +0200, Luigi Baldoni wrote:
> Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 at 6:02 PM
> From: "Richard Brown" <RBrownCCB at opensuse.org>
> > >
> > > If so I suspect it's related to the missing header with copyright
> > > attribution
> > > to SUSE AG.
> > >
> > > Now, the question is: would Packman be ok with that?
> >
> > I would hope the answer is "no"
> >
> > If Packman receives packages which clearly remove the legal
> > copyright attribution of previous authors, Packman would
> > need to be prepared for serious conversations with the copyright
> > holder who's attributions are being removed.
> >
> > This is a very serious situation which fundamentally undermines the
> > legal basis under which free and open source
> > licenses operate, so is taken very seriously by corporations that
> > run their business in compliance with those
> > licenses.
>

> No. I was talking about the copyring attribution for the spec file
> itself, with which I seem to recall
> from a previous interaction OP has a problem with.
>
> Now, I assume that a commercial entity like SUSE can't afford to
> distribute anything where the IP is not
> clearly defined, even for a mere script.
>
> Would Packman be more lenient in that regard?
>
> Regard
Hi

As Richard explained, this might be a bit dangerous adventure for
packman. Apart from that I would say that motivation for moving to
packman is a bit weak - my understanding is that move is motivated by
hurt feelings after discussion about copyright attribution with OP, and
by his opposition against including hamradio/sdr stuff in Factory and
Leap.

This would basically go against most of recent efforts to move
everything that is possible/allowed to OBS/Leap/Factory and would put
additional load on packman's resources, which are much more scarce than
those of OBS.

Cheers

Martin