[packman] New packages for packman (Walter Fey)

Richard Brown RBrownCCB at opensuse.org
Tue Aug 1 18:02:14 CEST 2017

On Tue 1. Aug 2017 at 15:33, Luigi Baldoni <aloisio at gmx.com> wrote:

> Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 at 2:22 PM
> From: Malcolm <malcolmlewis at cableone.net>
> >
> > >A few weeks ago I was informed by somebody, who is member of the
> > >openSUSE Board and employee of the SUSE GmbH, that the form as this
> > >was done for more than ten years is not welcome anymore.
> > <snip>
> > Hi
> > You mean the spec file, changes file etc when you refer to 'form'?
>
> If so I suspect it's related to the missing header with copyright
> attribution
> to SUSE AG.
>
> Now, the question is: would Packman be ok with that?

I would hope the answer is "no"

If Packman receives packages which clearly remove the legal copyright
attribution of previous authors, Packman would need to be prepared for
serious conversations with the copyright holder who's attributions are
being removed.

This is a very serious situation which fundamentally undermines the legal
basis under which free and open source licenses operate, so is taken very
seriously by corporations that run their business in compliance with those
licenses.

Regards,
Richard Brown
openSUSE Chairman