[packman] rebuilding gstreamer every day?

Dave Plater davejplater at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 16:41:36 CEST 2016

On 6/19/16, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB at opensuse.org> wrote:
> On 19 June 2016 at 11:53, Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 16, Bjørn Lie wrote:
>>
>>> Packman would be better of with link to the factory sources instead of
>>> straight from the devel one in m:l.
>>
>> This does not help much. If the pkg in Factory gets broken for whatever
>> reason it will take weeks until the error is resolved.
>>
>> Olaf
>
> The pkg in multimedia:libs is about one hundred, thousand, million
> times more at risk of being broken than the pkg in Factory

Not if it's well maintained

> Because it's a devel project, where packages are MEANT to be broken
> from time to time, meanwhile we KNOW the ffmpeg packages in Factory
> work as they get tested in openQA as part of the VLC testing.
>
> I've said it before and I'll say it again Packman building against
> multimedia:libs has always been silly

Once Packman packages weren't linked and that resulted in many
problems with incompatible libraries and out of sync maintenance.

> In fact, for Leap, Packman should build against the packages in Leap
> which would even further reduce the needless, pointless, load on pmbs
> and on packman users constantly having to update packages for no
> benefit.
Leap packages in Packman do build against the openSUSE Leap :
<path project="openSUSE.org:openSUSE:Leap:42.1:Update" repository="standard"/>

> But right now I would just take removing m:l out of the equation, it
> has no place being used in this way.

Packman is a safe way for users to get the newest packages, especially
Leap users because it rarely gets new packages. It's a pity somebody
doesn't donate some extra server power to Packman to speed up the
build cycle. Maintaining the Packman packages in multimedia apps and
libs has taken away the old volatility that used to come from Packman.
It's a far better option to enabling multiple obs repositories for Leap.
Best regards
Dave Plater