[packman] btsync

Guido Berhoerster guido+links2linux.de at berhoerster.name
Fri Mar 28 11:44:50 CET 2014

* Sascha Peilicke <speilicke at suse.com> [2014-03-28 10:18]:
> On Thursday 27 March 2014 17:12:25 Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> > * Sascha Peilicke <speilicke at suse.com> [2014-03-27 16:18]:
> > > I'm maintaining bittorrent sync in the "network" OBS project currently.
> > > However, due to unclear licensing term and it being a binary-only tool,
> > > it's unlikely to enter Factory. So I'm wondering which of the Pacman
> > > repos (Essentials & co) would be best suited to host it instead.
> >
> > The included license refers to
> > http://www.bittorrent.com/legal/terms-of-use which states in
> > section 4a:
> >
> >     Any copying or redistribution of the Software is prohibited,
> >     including any copying or redistribution of the Software to
> >     any other server or location, redistribution or use on a
> >     service bureau basis.
> >
> > So it looks like it cannot be legally hosted on either OBS or
> > Packman.
>
> As far as it is understood by most people, this license only apply to the
> bittorrent client itself, not sync.

See again the beginning of section 4a:

    Any Software that is made available via the Services or
    otherwise by BitTorrent is the property of BitTorrent and its
    suppliers. If the Software made available via the Services is
    accompanied by license terms, then use of such Software is
    governed by the terms of such license agreement that
    accompanies or is included with the Software, or by the
    license agreement expressly stated on the hyperlinks
    referenced in the Software.

So to reiterate, the software is made available by BitTorrent and
includes a file named LICENSE.txt which contains a hyperlink to
http://www.bittorrent.com/legal/terms-of-use. From this I
conclude that the terms of use as stated above apply which
explicitly forbid redistribution.
But you could try asking them for explicit permission to
redistribute.
--
Guido Berhoerster