[packman] Build host memory limits

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 24 12:23:23 CEST 2013

Hi Guido,

On Monday, July 22, 2013 05:54:28 PM Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> So everything has settled down now but my package is still in
> scheduled state which indicates that the constrints cannot be
> staisfied for some reason (see
> http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.
> build_job_constraints.html ). The _constraints file is at
> https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/view_file?expand=1&file=_constrai
> nts&package=mame&project=Games
>
> Especially the x86_64 variants need a build host that has more
> than 1GB available during linking or builds will fail.

I am not really sure, how the contraints management in OBS is working
(regarding the workers). As usual the documentation is sparse at best. I
do not know how the dispatcher gets to know of the capabilities of
workers, and if this is a feature in newer versions of the workers only.

My workers "should" provide the necessary resources, at least swkj04 and
swkj07, the workers run in chroot mode and have thus, at least
potentially, access to the whole system resources, as long as the other
processed do not fill up their (RAM)disks to the max.
They are the old ones, but in my understanding the worker code is
downloaded from the server installation, so they should be new enough.
If someone does indeed know more about the constraints feature of the
build process, please help!

In the past - before the crash and before I added my workers, there were
at least three more workers provided by [not me], which are now "lost in
time and space" - meaning, I do not know who ran them and how to contact
them. These machines obviously had no problem compiling resource-hungry
packages.

Having said all this, I welcome any offers to supply workers. If you, or
anybody else, are/is able to host a worker, I am happy to help with the
setup and of course provide the needed obs and openVPN configuration.

Stefan
--
Stefan Botter zu Hause
Bremen