[packman] Build host memory limits

Guido Berhoerster guido+links2linux.de at berhoerster.name
Wed Aug 7 18:50:48 CEST 2013

Hello,

* Stefan Botter <jsj at jsj.dyndns.org> [2013-08-07 15:16]:
> On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:28:32 AM Stefan Botter wrote:
> > Hi Guido,
> >
> > On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:21:41 AM Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> > > * Stefan Botter <jsj at jsj.dyndns.org> [2013-07-25 10:58]:
> > >
> > > That's not good, it means the build success of such packages
> > > essentially depends on the build host's current load. That's what
> > > I've been experiencing before the recent outage where I needed to
> > > manually trigger builds that take ~ 40min until they fail during
> > > linking numerous times until they succeeded.
> >
> > OK, let me test this.
> > I will prepare a worker, which employs vm's. This will take some
> > time, though, as I am currently at work, there are _lots_ of issues
> > here, and I have an update of our university build server pending.
> > + I have to round up a machine equuipped for the task ...
>
> Picking up here, Yesterday and today I tried to deploy a worker with kvm
> for the individual worker tasks.
> As I could only use a VMware Workstation virtual machine I tried with a
> one-instance machine. That seems to work, but all of a sudden all other
> machines on the WS were *horrible* slow on I/O, with the result, that I
> had to reboot my machine (it is my everyday workstation, where swkj04
> runs on, too). The worker ran for approx. 2h, and *may* have compiled
> one mame package successfully, if it finished until I killed my machine.
> So it basically works, but I cannot provide such a worker ATM.
>

> As I saw you removed the constraints, so that mame is now building on
> the chroot workers.

yes, I saw it getting built and then going back to scheduled
state, so I finally removed it again. Thank you anyway for your
efforts!

> Again the call to $broadcast_address: If you (all, not just Guido) is
> able to provide (a) worker(s), please get in touch with me.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare resources, so it would help
a lot if someone could donate a few kvm or xen workers for more
heavyweight packages. Right now it just isn't possible to
reliably build mame on Packman OBS.
--
Guido Berhoerster