[packman] gst123 segfaults

Carlos E. R. carlos.e.r at opensuse.org
Fri Aug 2 11:50:58 CEST 2013

On Thursday, 2013-08-01 at 21:35 +0200, David Haller wrote:

>> Are you sure? It is running as a cron job, there is no terminal.
>
> Yes! There's a stdout/stderr and gst123 wants to know _how_ to output
> the stuff. Using "TERM=linux" corresponds to the linux console you get
> in RL3/without starting X. And (see your next mail) if gst123 gets a
> TERM, it knows how to handle. Because it is obviously using tput and
> that needs some settings how to handle the "terminal".

Ok, I tried. With TERM set to linux, the output is:

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

and without:

tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

I don't really care about that difference, as the sound plays fine. I
prefer not to set it, and leave it to automatics.

>> I understand that the construction "2>&1 >" should dump _everything_
>> to the log... well, it does not.
>
> And it should not. Consider:

Ok, thanks to the explanation. I did

   /usr/bin/gst123 --quiet $TEMPORAL  >> /tmp/dar_la_hora_en_cron.log 2>&1

and I don't get the email, which is what I want. Thanks.

> About that "socket" error re jack: you may want to configure vlc
> explicitly not to use jack for output. Not sure where that's saved
> and saved ATM.

It does not matter. As long as it tries to find a method to output sound,
finds it, and sound is played, it is fine by me :-)

> That's because you then have a TERM that tput knows to handle and
> stdin/-err are handled as usual ...
>
> The reason is AFAIR because vlc usually emits escape-sequences to
> color the output (of errors and other messages) (c.f. 'man
> console_codes') by using tput in normal operation. See the output of

Yes, I have seen them, logged to a file, if I remove the "--quiet".

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.