[packman] [opensuse-factory] Fwd: commit libavutil for openSUSE:Factory

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Wed Jun 27 12:05:30 CEST 2012

On 27 June 2012 08:58, Dave Plater <davejplater at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I discovered that the future xine-lib had a hard dependancy on
> libavutil and that libavutil wasn't encumbered by patent problems
> (August last year) I decided on a static lib built with xine due to
> libavutil being part of ffmpeg.
> The only safe way that I can see with a dynamic libavutil in factory
> is for packman to also separate libavutil and  build a linked package
> otherwise it will be a problem to keep them in sync. The Packman
> ffmpeg maintainer will need to maintain openSUSE libavutil as well. I
> normally run multimedia:apps with libxine-codecs from Packman. Ffmpeg
> tends to change frequently and may cause unforseen problems if
> libavutil gets out of sync. libxine2 itself needs libavutil the rest
> of the ffmpeg libs  are used by plugin builds. IMHO the xine-lib
> developers should include a static libavutil. Have a look at Debian
> and Fedora for clues.

This is far from a "specific case". And AFAIK Debian packages the full
libav and Fedora doesn't package libxine 1.2, what clues should I look
for there?

I guess the basic question is: why is this different to the libxine
case? Packman doesn't make any effort to keep it in sync with openSUSE
version. And it even packages a binary incompatible version. What's
more, Packman already packages two binary incompatible versions of
libavutil!