[packman] gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon-32bit-0.10.18-33.5.x86_64.rpm (openSUSE 11.4/x86_64)

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 16:10:47 CET 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:24:25 +0100
todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a number of packages that the orig-addon-32bit packages
> depend on (directly or indirectly) that do not have 32bit
> compatibility packages of their own.  This makes zypper try to switch
> to the i586 versions of those packages, which also requires changing
> all the other packages that depend on them (directly or indirectly).
> This will also most likely uninstall
> gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon, since you will be changing the
> 64bit packages it depends on to 32bit. Until 32bit compatibility
> versions of the dependencies are available, you should avoid the
> orig-addon-32bit packages.

I understand that's why it's happening, but I question whether these dependencies are really required. I downloaded the package, extracted the files, and manually copied them to /usr/lib. They are working fine for my purpose, which is testing whether it is possible to insert and play a wmv file in Powerpoint running in Wine. The answer is yes, so long as you have the files from that package in /usr/lib.

Several months ago I had the same situation when I tried to install the gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-32bit package from Packman. In that case, I found a package in the Multimedia repository that did not trigger an attempt to change the architecture of 400+ other packages, installed that, and it works fine. This suggests to me that the packages could be set up in way that would not trigger such a massive change.

Wine now uses libgstasf for ASF demuxing and most Windows apps are still 32 bit. My immediate problem is solved, but  this is something that would be a problem for anyone on 64 bit openSUSE that wanted to use Wine to run a 32 bit Windows app that needs to play an ASF/WMV file.

--
Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>