[packman] gmplayer on openSUSE 12.1 crash

Erik Sorenson eriksorenson at amtelecom.net
Sun Apr 22 16:34:03 CEST 2012

Using openSuse 12.1_x86 and KDE 3 repo for a previous working install, and for
a brand-new install last night. Commandline "mplayer" works, as does SMplayer
through GUI, but GUI and commandline use of "gmplayer" does not work.
KDE3-Kplayer works fine, as dows Gnome Player and VLC.  Best can tell,
gmplayer stopped working about 3+ weeks ago.

The output/error I get when starting gmplayer from the commandline is this:

# gmplayer
MPlayer dev-SVN-r34853-4.6-openSUSE Linux 12.1 (i586)-Packman (C) 2000-2012
MPlayer Team
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
Icon 'mplayer' (size 16) not found or unsupported format.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: unknown
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible
bug.

I tried to install debug info for gmplayer, but only mplayer's debug info
installed, so using "gdb" produced nothing useful for me to pass to a
developer.

I also did a fresh install of 12.1_x64 and KDE4, and after adding multimedia
bits that usually work, I got the same results when calling gmplayer.  Note:
all these installs/tests were run in real partitions, not VMs.