[packman] Bugtracker for Packman

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Tue Apr 17 17:49:46 CEST 2012

Something I wished for since several years, a bugtracker for
Packman, in order to be able to handle bugs and todos a lot
better than just having a mailing-list where, frankly, I miss at
least half the issues and where it is a bit more difficult to
assign things to people and keep track of what's to do and
what's done. Well, in essence, bugtrackers have been invented
for that purpose.

I did a quick set up of an instance of JIRA and one of Bugzilla:
- Bugzilla: http://pmbs.links2linux.org:9999/
- JIRA: http://pmbs.links2linux.org:8888/

Note that while JIRA is a proprietary system, it is free for
open source projects (I still have to request an open source
license if we chose to use JIRA though). It is used by some
large FOSS projects around the globe (because it's probably the
best bugtracker out there), e.g. all the apache.org projects.

Have a look, and please give me opinions, then I'll finalize and
will look for a proper place to host it (pmbs.links2linux.org is
already under pretty heavy load all the time as it runs the OBS
scheduler). I'll prolly put it on opensu.se instead.

Note that for both, you have to create users, which you can on
your own without the need for an admin to step in. It is not
connected to any SSO such as Novell's, which is both good and
bad, but nothing we can change anyway as it is not accessible
outside opensuse.org (well, SUSE and Novell operating centers,
actually). Yeah, a more global opensuse.org identity management
would be sweet... sigh.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser