[packman] Repository updating every four hours

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Thu Mar 10 19:15:28 CET 2011

Repositories are synchronized every *four* hours.

This means that after we successfully packaged something on our
OBS instance, it takes up to four hours for the package to show
up on our mirrors.

We could, in theory, make that delay much shorter, although the
drawbacks would be:
* we would block out our mirrors a lot more often (during the
  time where we re-sign the packages and create the metadata)
* users would get new metadata a lot more often, which also
  increases the burden on our mirrors

The drawback of having that delay, of course, and especially
right now where we haven't migrated all packages yet, is that
between poking us on IRC or email for a package and us doing
it... it takes a few hours for users to install it ;)

On a side note, our website [1] is also updated every four
hours, to reflect the exact state of our repository.

[1] http://packman.links2linux.org/

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser