[packman] OpenShot 1.3.0 is a mess

Willem Franssen willemfranssen at planet.nl
Tue Mar 8 02:13:32 CET 2011

Hi Pascal,
Since version 1.3.0 OpenShot is a mess. It won't startup. That's also
the case with version 1.3.0-0.pm.7.1
I wish I could downgrade to version 1.2.xx
Maybe it's not a fault in the Packman package, but in the installer
itself. The problem does also occur in other Linux distributions.
My system: OenSUSE 11.3 + KDE 4.4.4

This is what I could reproduce from /usr/bin/openshot :

import sys, os

# get the real location of this launcher file (not the link location)
realfile = os.path.realpath(__file__)
realfile_dir = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(realfile))

# determine if running from the /openshot/bin folder
parent_folder_path = os.path.dirname(realfile_dir)
bin_path = os.path.join(parent_folder_path, 'openshot')
if os.path.exists(os.path.join(bin_path, 'openshot.py')):
     # insert this path into the Python path
     sys.path.insert(0, bin_path)
     print "Added %s to system path" % bin_path
else:

     # determine if running from the /usr/share/openshot folder
     usr_share_path = os.path.join('/', 'usr', 'share', 'openshot')
     if os.path.exists(usr_share_path):
         # insert this path into the Python path
         sys.path.insert(0, usr_share_path)
         print "Added %s to system path" % usr_share_path

# If the openshot python code is found in the Python path, then
# we should be able to import openshot and call the main() method
try:
     # RUN OPENSHOT
     from openshot import main
     main()

except ImportError:

     try:
         # RUN OPENSHOT
         from openshot.openshot import main
         main()

     except ImportError:
         # Failed to find the openshot library.  NOTE:  This
/bin/openshot/ file
         # requires that OpenShot be installed in /site-packages or
/usr/share/openshot
         print "Error:  OpenShot has not been installed in the Python path."
         print "(Both the site-packages and /usr/share/openshot folders
were checked)"
         print ""
         print "Use the following command to install OpenShot:"
         print "  $ sudo python setup.py install"
         print ""