[packman] Adding a new "Multimedia-Pack" pattern entry

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:37:58 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Roman Bysh <rb03884 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List mates,
>
> I am recommending the creation of a pattern entry named "Multimedia-Pack".
>
> This came to me after reading the openSUSE Forum's Multimedia help file.
> The help file lists the most popular packages for installation to get an
> openSUSE user's multimedia working. Excluding blu-ray.
>
> The "Multimedia-Pack" will provide links to all of the apps, codecs,
> libdvdcss and media library files shown in our Multimedia help file plus
> a few
> more for installation.
>
> We can reference Carl Fletcher's work on the OneClick installer.
> * If it's okay with Carl ;-)
>
> Why do we need this?
>
>   1. Handy for users that prefer the Yast package manager/kpackagekit
>   2. Offers an alternate installation to using zypper or OneClick-installer
>   3. Faster than installing each file one at a time
>   4. Requires a single mouse click for installation
>   5. Ideal for users that require multiple laptop and PC set ups
>

> I believe that this feature simplifies and improves our codecs installation.
> Especially when it can work in concert with openSUSE's ksuseinstaller.
> Something that was lacking in previous versions of openSUSE.
>
> Any thoughts on making this work?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Roman

I think you should include the vlc repo maintainers in this as well.
libdvdcss is only found there.  However, there are a lot of conflicts
between packages in that repo and packages in packman, which I think
would lead to a lot of difficulty for users.  So I think a clear
separation between the roles of the packman repo and the roles of the
vlc repo so such conflicts are either eliminated entirely or at least
kept to a minimum is critical before this sort of thing is pushed to
users.

I don't think it would reflect well on openSUSE if the official
multimedia pack automatically leads to dependency hell and potentially
instability in the system.  So I think these conflicts need to be
resolved first.

-Todd