[packman] [PM] libxine1-1.1.19-2.pm.48.19 (openSUSE 11.2/i586)

Karl Scheel scheel.karl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 04:21:53 CET 2011

Dear Mr. Tremmel:

Before upgrading xine on one of my x86 machines from your website, I
obtained the source-tarball of the same version from the Xine-hq
website. I was able to make my own RPMs using the "rpmbuild -ta"
command. The build-process was completed without any problems on my old
AMD K6-III+ machine that runs openSUSE 10.2, creating the following
packages (the first two for this release of openSUSE):

libxine1-1.1.19-0.i586.rpm,
libxine-devel-1.1.19-0.i586.rpm,
libxine1-1.1.19-0.src.rpm

I then took the source rpm from that particular build, and rebuilt the
libxine1 and libxine-devel packages on one of my newer Pentium IV
machines running openSUSE 11.2 using the "rpmbuild --rebuild" command,
giving me the first two packages of the three listed above for this
newer release of openSUSE. I then attempted to install them on that
newer machine. However, upon my doing so, a warning window opened,
stating that the libxine1 conflicted with both of the following
xine-plugins:

libxine1-pulse,
libxine1-gnome-vfs

So, I uninstalled them, and tried again. This allowed the installation
of my own xine-build to proceed; however, upon its completion, I noticed
that the cool audio clip could no longer be heard whenever I logged-into
KDE 4. Strangely-enough, xine was working perfectly (i.e., both sound
and video) via the openSUSE version of xine-ui that was already
installed (and the mplayer2 codecs I installed). However, this missing
KDE sound-effect significantly subtracted from "coolness-factor" of this
machine, so naturally, I HAD to start searching for a solution to this
problem.

Upon my examination of the file-lists of these two plugins, I discovered
that they each contained only one file:

xineplug_ao_out_pulseaudio.so,
xineplug_inp_gnome_vfs.so

Upon my examination of the file-list of the libxine1 version that I
built myself, I discovered the reason for the conflict: These files were
already included within that version. These two plugins were included
by-default when I compiled xine myself (i.e., provided that
libpulse-devel and gnome-vfs2-devel were installed). However, for some
reason unknown to me, they were left-out of the openSUSE version of
xine, and compiled separately as individual packages. This left me
puzzled: If these plugins were already included in my own build of xine,
then why didn't that cool KDE sound-effect play as it was supposed to?
And why were they taken-out of the standard xine-build?

After wasting almost a day trying to find a solution to this problem on
my own, I decided to downgrade my installation of xine back to the
original openSUSE version, and reinstall the two plugins; this brought
the machine back to its original state, where that cool sound-effect
could be heard again. Then, I went to your website and performed the
1-click installation of xine on the newer machine. Miraculously, upon
its completion, the newest Packman version of xine worked perfectly, AND
that cool KDE sound-effect was still able to play. VERY COOL!

HOW DID YOU DO IT, MR. XINE-PACKAGER? And what exactly occurs when the
separate openSUSE versions of those two xine-plugins are built that does
not occur during a standard xine-build (which includes them), besides
the additional separate entries within the rpm database? There must be
SOMETHING that is different, that affects the functioning of the
xine-backend to the KDE 4 sound-server (which incidently, is supposed to
use alsa, not pulse: libpulse is supposed to be for compatibility with
GNOME applications.)!

Another thing puzzles me: Although I was able to configure, compile, and
 install the xine source-tarball in the standard /usr/local prefix on
the newer machine using the "./configure, make, and make install"
commands, whenever I attempted to use the rpmbuild command on it, I
would get the following error-message, regardless of the version of
libxine1 source-tarball used:

"error: unable to read specfile"

However, this did not occur when I did the same thing on the older
machine; the rpmbuild utility was able to read the specfile just fine
when the command was entered using exactly the same syntax, and same
tarball. This problem seems to be just with libxine1, not xine-ui; on
the newer machine, the rpmbuild command works fine with xine-ui. What
exactly is behind this VERY-STRANGE behaviour in openSUSE 11.2?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ;)

Karl Scheel,
Toronto, Canada