[packman] RFC: improve MPlayer build in packman

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Apr 17 23:08:27 CEST 2011

Kshitij Kulshreshtha <kkhere.geo+suse at ...> writes:

> > >     using the attached patch in the MPlayer build on pmbs will not build
> > > the internal ffmpeg copy in the MPlayer tree but only use it for
> > > internal header-files and will link with the preinstalled ffmpeg
> > > libraries from the ffmpeg package.
> >
> > This would remove some features from MPlayer.
>
> Are you sure? Which features are those?

Yes, some video filters cannot be built with shared libavcodec, please see
configure for details.

> Do they explicitly require static
> linking with ffmpeg, instead of just using private header files?

You cannot solve the problem you claim to have (I do not understand it) by
including internal headers: They are internal because you must not include them
to build a project that uses shared libavcodec.

> If you look into the patch in my last email, you will notice that all files
> that were conditioned on defining FFMPEG_A are still built with this patch
> using private header-files from the local copy of ffmpeg, but ffmpeg itself
> is not compiled.

So you suggest to provide users with a MPlayer version that is guaranteed to
break if they decide to update their libavcodec library? I don't think that
would be a good idea.

Carl Eugen