[packman] FFmpeg

Cristian Morales Vega cmorve69 at yahoo.es
Tue Jun 29 22:51:59 CEST 2010

2010/6/29 Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>:
> Manfred Tremmel <manfred at ...> writes:
>
>> > I would suggest not to use released versions, but to continue
>> >  updating to latest svn whenever new features are available (that
>> >  would be AAC+v2 aka Parametric Stereo atm).
>>
>> It's not easy to keep all programms working with new svn snapshots.
>
> It would be great if you could report such problems: We spend a lot of time
> trying to avoid them and I don't know of any API regressions / none are reported
> on roundup.

FFmpeg always had the fame of *the* API/ABI unstable library. So I
suppose nobody cares to report when they see.

There is the case of Audacity
(http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28048&start=10#p80900).
When match_ext was substituted for av_match_ext it was done in a way
that the API was preserved until the soname would change
(http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=commitdiff;h=ccb8d3b18ce727c9a619af619554d16f97042816;hp=38aba1fad17a1ebddf635ff848f2d5d80e56c870).
But some time later that compatibility layer was explicitly removed
(http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=commitdiff;h=4d11030c3f5c0f5e24c557f313c3375ac93ddf18;hp=e51ded3170a6a1b680aaca4c5c8a158cb6dc74f4).

Since the patch was so explicit and said "not publicly declared" I
forgot about it. I don't know, perhaps Audacity cheated and used an
internal function call... but the thing is that it broke.

As said it seems everybody sees these things
(http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=95285), but nobody reports.
You need to get rid of that API/ABI unstable library fame :-(