[packman] Problems with opencv package

Cristian Morales Vega cmorve69 at yahoo.es
Sat Oct 10 20:32:41 CEST 2009

Hi, just wanted to note some problems with the opencv package from Packman
- Latest stable version is 2.0.0, you still package the beta 1.2.0
- The package name should be libopencv1_2 instead of libopencv1
because of the different soname. Anyway the soname changed again with
the 2.0.0 release and libopencv2 will be ok
- opencv.pc specifies ${exec_prefix}/lib instead of
${exec_prefix}/lib64 as libdir in x86-64. There is a similar problem
with the OpenCVConfig.cmake file.
- /usr/share/opencv/samples/python provides examples that use the old
SWIG-based binding, but only the new bindings are provided in
python-opencv
- http://license.opensuse.org doesn't liked the "BSD" license. Not
sure about how to know which exact BSD license opencv uses, but I
think it is BSD 3-clause or BSD3c.
- Probably the linux-kernel-headers aren't a real BuildRequire?
libdc1394_control12-devel, libraw1394-devel and OpenEXR-devel probably
can also be removed (new dc1394 and OpenEXR isn't available in new
versions). libtool isn't needed since now it uses CMake.
- Not sure about this one, but I think it is compiling with options as
"-mmmx", "-msse", "-msse2", etc. Probably these options should be
automatically selected based on march so the compatibility is
guaranteed with all i586/x86_64 machines?
- "-DBUILD_EXAMPLES=ON" seems to build binaries that aren't never
installed/included in any package.
- "-BUILD_SWIG_PYTHON_SUPPORT=ON" misses an "D" between "-" and "B",
that's why old python bindings aren't included.
- Is "cvconfig.h" really needed??

I'm a CMake newbie, but I have submitted a patch upstream that fixes
the lib vs lib64 problem:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2876292&group_id=22870&atid=376679
(your "-DLIB_INSTALL_DIR" doesn't seems to have any effect).