[packman] [PM] MPlayer 1.0rc2_r29116-2.pm.2 (openSUSE 11.1/i586)

Lee Matheson lee.matheson at rijira.net
Sat May 2 00:20:08 CEST 2009

An update to this email thread.

... After some investigation, I came to the conclusion that the vdpau
errors I observed were hardware related, on that the old PC in which I
was testing (MSI KT3 ultra with athlon-1100 and 1GB RAM).

Hence I moved the BFG nVidia GeForce 8400GS (512MB) PCI card to a
slightly less old (4+ years) athlon-2800 (on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
motherboard w/2GB RAM).  I installed the proprietary 180.51 nvidia
driver.  Both PCs are running openSUSE-11.1 w/KDE-3.5.10.
ffmpeg/libffmpeg0-0.5-0.pm.2 and MPlayer-1.0rc2-r29116-2.pm.2.

I see none of the corruption nor other graphic anomalous behaviour on
the athlon-2800 that I saw on the athlon-1100.

On the athlon-2800 vdpau with MPlayer works great at the resolutions I
have tested (highest test being the "I am Legend" video trailer from
here:   http;//www.h264info.com/clips.html where that video played back
superbly with only 7% to 8% cpu loading).  I can make the video full
screen and cpu load remains the same.  The monitor I am using is a
Samsung T260 25.5" set at @ 1920x1200 resolution, so when playing back
that file at full resolution, I think the test is a good illustration of
vdpau capability on an old PC with a good monitor.

I believe the previous problems I experienced on the athlon-1100 were
because either:

a.  its old 350 watt power supply was putting out SIGNIFICANTLY less
power (where graphic card manufacturer for the BFG nVidia GeForce 8400GS
PCI card recommended a 300 watt power supply minimum); or

b.  problem with interrupts (I should have, and did not, try different
PCI slots); or

c.  basic incompatibility between the old MSI KT3 Ultra with the BFG
nVidia GeForce 8400GS PCI card.

Apologies for any misleading posts earlier.  Again, vdpau with mplayer
is working very good. It has breathed some new life into this 4+ year old PC

Lee