[packman] problems with VLC installation on Suse entreprise Desktop edition 10

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Thu Jun 11 21:49:51 CEST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2009 schrieb Susanna Martinelli:

> I've a problem with vlc installation on Suse (as described into
> object). It was suggested to me to use packaman repositories for
> installing vlc. I've used
> this repo: http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/10.3/

Enterprise Desktop is based on something between 10.1 and 10.2, I don't
think the 10.3 repository is compatible. Try again with 10.2 repository.
There's no guaranty it works, we build against the openSUSE distros and
not against the SLES/SLED ones.

> So when I try to install vlc (by using Yast2) I get some errors with
> conflicts. I choosed to ignore conflicts and go ahead with
> installation by the way

You ignore requirements (conflicts) of the package and wonder it doesn't
work?
There shouldn't be any conflicts, all you need is packman repository and
the openSUSE ftp repository (not all packages are available on CD's or
DVD, much more are missing in the enterprise versions).

> when the installation process terminates i try to run vlc and i get
> this error:
>
> *vlc: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libvlccore.so.0: undefined
> symbol: dbus_threads_init_default
>
> *Do you have an idea about the cause?

Incompatible dbus versions in openSUSE 10.3 and SLED 10?

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/