[packman] Funguloids fails to run with openal-soft (default in 11.1)

Cristian Morales Vega cmorve69 at yahoo.es
Sat Jan 24 23:45:07 CET 2009

2009/1/24 Toni <toni at links2linux.de>:
> Am Freitag, 23. Januar 2009 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:

>> > Change -d11.0 for -d11.1 ;-)
>> > It's there ->
>> > http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/opena
>> >l-soft-1.5.304-1.33.x86_64.rpm When running the game I get:
>> > OpanAL: error creating context: AL_INVALID_OPERATION
>> > OpenALSoundSystem ERROR: cannot create SoundSystem.
>> > funguloids: openalsoundsystem.cpp:510: void
>> > OpenALSoundSystem::update(): Assertion `mStreamPlayer' failed.
>> > Abortado
>>
>> Just to remove any doubt:
>>
>> # LC_ALL=C zypper --disable-system-resolvables in -D -r dvd
>> 'libopenal.so.0()(64bit)'
>> Resolving package dependencies...
>>
>> The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
>>   bash bash-doc e2fsprogs filesystem glibc info libblkid1 libbz2-1
>> libcom_err2 libext2fs2
>> libncurses5 libopenal0-soft libopenal1-soft libreadline5 libuuid1
>> libvolume_id1 libzio ncurses-utils openal-soft readline-doc terminfo-base
>> zlib
>>

>> Overall download size: 4.1 M. After the operation, additional 12.4 M
>> will be used.
>> Continue? [YES/no]: n
>>
>> openal-soft is selected instead of openal.
>
> A new package is uploaded as I needed to rebuild it with new ogre-1.6.1.
> For openSuSE-11.1 it is build with openal-soft.
>
> and openal-soft(-devel) is NOT compatible to openal package, so IMHO it is
> totally wrong to provide openal in the openal-soft-devel package.
>
> e.g. ember build is failing with openal-soft ... and so I stay with the
> working openal(-devel) package of the packman repository.

I will open a bug report since the situation seems funny...
1- Upstream openal-soft only provides libopenal.so.1, but openSUSE
patched it to also create a wrapper library with soname
libopenal.so.0. If you try hard you can have both original openal and
openal-soft (without wrapper) installed at the same time without any
conflict, but...
2- The full repository has available both openal and openal-soft, but
the DVD only provides openal-soft. At the same time zypper will select
openal-soft by default when both options are available. So openal-soft
is the default, true? Well, no... the Build Service has a "Prefer:
-libopenal0-soft -openal-soft" for both 11.1 and Factory, that seems
makes openal prefered over openal-soft.
3- Because of '2' freealut is compiled against original openal.
4- openal package provides a libtool .la file but openal-soft doesn't.
Since freealut is compiled against openal "libalut.la" hardcodes a
dependency against a libopenal.la file that doesn't exists in
openal-soft. That's why ember fails to compile (now I also hate
libtool). If you remove the libalut.la file embed compiles correctly
(with the libalut.so.0 from freealut vs direct libalut.so.1 dependecy
conflict that god knows what will do if you use the real libalut.so.0
instead of the wrapper).