[packman] xvid really slow

Ronny Peine RonnyPeine at gmx.de
Thu Jan 22 07:24:05 CET 2009

Hello again,

Am Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2009 schrieben Sie:
> Am Dienstag 20 Januar 2009 schrieb Ronny Peine:
> > i often transcode recordings from my tv card and i am using avidemux
> > to cut and then transcode it to xvid. After doing this for years on
> > Gentoo, i knew that it gives about 7 fps in the second pass with my
> > settings for an mpeg2 video in 720x576 resolution as input. I now
> > tested this same scenario on my laptop with OpenSUSE 11.0 x86_64. My
> > Laptop has a Core 2 Dou with 2.1 GHz. My Gentoo machine is an old
> > Athlon XP 2600+ (1.9 GHz). So i expected at least about 2 or 3 times
> > the performance for my laptop compared against my old machine in
> > transcoding. But on the laptop it was only about 6 fps with the exact
> > same settings, which made me curious. I tried to reproduce this with
>
> When there's used only one core, I don't think the Core2Duo is (much)
> faster then the Athlon XP.

Well, in general, one core is nearly 50% faster than the old Athlon XP. And i
have tested single- and multithread for xvid but still it is worse than my
Athlon XP.

> > the cmdline tool transcode to eliminate the possibility that it is
> > tied to avidemux. With transcode i get the same bad performance. I
> > also eliminated filters and audio encoding, still bad performance. So
> > xvid is the culprit. Using no export formats lead to a very fast
> > decoding of the mpeg2 with 420fps in transcode, so the decoding part
> > is not the problem. Are there any misoptimizations in xvid or
> > something like this?
>
> I've got reports that xvid 1.2 is slower the 1.1, but there's no
> difference in the parameters I've used to compile it.

I will try to compile it myself. Which parameters have you used?

> > Following interesting packages (all from PackMan-Repo) are installed
> > on my OpenSUSE laptop:
> > xvidcore-1.2.1-0.pm.0
> > xvid4conf-1.12-0.pm.1
> > libxvidcore4-1.2.1-0.pm.0
> >
> > all packages are x86_64.
> >
> > Do you know a possible fix for this?
>
> Sorry, I don't know, how to change it.

Maybe i find a solution.

> Use ffmpeg for mpeg4 encoding, it's much faster ;-)

Thanks for your answer.
Kind regards,
Ronny Peine