[packman] xvid really slow

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Wed Jan 21 20:28:35 CET 2009

Am Dienstag 20 Januar 2009 schrieb Ronny Peine:

> i often transcode recordings from my tv card and i am using avidemux
> to cut and then transcode it to xvid. After doing this for years on
> Gentoo, i knew that it gives about 7 fps in the second pass with my
> settings for an mpeg2 video in 720x576 resolution as input. I now
> tested this same scenario on my laptop with OpenSUSE 11.0 x86_64. My
> Laptop has a Core 2 Dou with 2.1 GHz. My Gentoo machine is an old
> Athlon XP 2600+ (1.9 GHz). So i expected at least about 2 or 3 times
> the performance for my laptop compared against my old machine in
> transcoding. But on the laptop it was only about 6 fps with the exact
> same settings, which made me curious. I tried to reproduce this with

When there's used only one core, I don't think the Core2Duo is (much)
faster then the Athlon XP.

> the cmdline tool transcode to eliminate the possibility that it is
> tied to avidemux. With transcode i get the same bad performance. I
> also eliminated filters and audio encoding, still bad performance. So
> xvid is the culprit. Using no export formats lead to a very fast
> decoding of the mpeg2 with 420fps in transcode, so the decoding part
> is not the problem. Are there any misoptimizations in xvid or
> something like this?

I've got reports that xvid 1.2 is slower the 1.1, but there's no
difference in the parameters I've used to compile it.

> Following interesting packages (all from PackMan-Repo) are installed
> on my OpenSUSE laptop:
> xvidcore-1.2.1-0.pm.0
> xvid4conf-1.12-0.pm.1
> libxvidcore4-1.2.1-0.pm.0
>
> all packages are x86_64.
>
> Do you know a possible fix for this?

Sorry, I don't know, how to change it.

Use ffmpeg for mpeg4 encoding, it's much faster ;-)

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/