[packman] packman's gstreamer and new banshee -> crashes

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at skynet.be
Mon Nov 17 08:56:38 CET 2008

Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
> 2008/11/16 "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <knocte at gmail.com>:
>> Toni wrote:

>>> I can't do anything against it :)
>>>
>>> Solution 1)
>>> banshee needs to be compiled against the new packman libraries ...
>>> any volunteers to package banshee for packman ?
>> And why this wasn't needed in the previous versions of banshee?
>
> This has nothing to do with versions. If you compile application A
> (Banshee) against library B (openSUSE gstreamer) and then run it
> against another version of the library B (Packman gtreamer) the result
> can be anything... isn't something do you want spend time to
> understand, it's just easier to compile and run with the same library
> version.
>
>>> Solution 2)
>>> simply use the original SuSE packages and banshee without any of the packman
>>> packages (gstreamer, ffmpeg, x264, etc ...).
>>>
>> What if a user wants to use Banshee but at the same time wants to have
>> the proprietary codecs that normally are found nowhere but Packman (wrt
>> Suse)?
>
> Then someone should volunteer to package and mantain a Banshee package
> in Packman: solution 1. That means work... and would be better done by
> someone that uses Banshee himself.

Which is probably no one in our team as of now.

> Anyway, the forum thread is far from a good evidence.
> - The problem was reported with version 1.2.1, but latest version is
> 1.4... what do you mean with "new" banshee?
> - Then someone says gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg is the problem... well,
> perhaps gstreamer broke the ABI by accident, but it's my understanding
> that banshee doesn't sees anything from gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg, only
> sees the gstreamer API interface.
> *Perhaps* if you mix gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg from Packman with other
> gstreamer packages from openSUSE you can have problems, but in all the
> thread nobody gives a detailed package list.
> - But then another guy says removing gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg his problem
> isn't solved.
> - Then we have the "when you install gstreamer ffmpeg package select
> to ignore dependencies and then banshee will work stable"... that
> well, doesn't looks like something very scientific.
> - At last we have some ranting and a posible solution that could make
> sense ("rm /usr/lib/banshee-1/gstreamer-0.10/libgstequalizer.so")...
> that nobody tests.

Right. I don't really see the point with gst-ffmpeg either.
Either the libgst ABI isn't compatible and then it should crash anyhow,
or it is and ffmpeg works too.

The interesting question is rather whether the libffmpeg0 the gst-ffmpeg
has been built against is on the host, or if there is a mixup there.
Maybe the ffmpeg package from videolan, who knows.

And Aaron doesn't really help with his ranting there. And I couldn't resist.

cheers
- --
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <pascal.bleser at skynet.be>       <guru at unixtech.be>