[packman] Packman and Contrib cooperation

Pavol Rusnak prusnak at suse.cz
Thu Dec 18 18:02:31 CET 2008

Hi Packman folks!

   You might be aware of Contrib - Universal openSUSE Repository for 3rd
party Packages. For those who are not, I recommend reading
http://en.opensuse.org/Contrib wiki page.

   I have an idea, or proposal if you wish: what do you think of moving
all the "clean" packages from Packman to this new and shiny Contrib
repository? :)

By "clean" packages I mean packages:
* which do not break rules for putting inside BuildService
  (no patent issues, no "hacking" tools, etc.)
* which fulfill requirements for putting inside Contrib
  (no file clash with Factory, etc.)
* with no dependencies outside of Factory and/or Contrib

This will have following advantages:
* more maintainers for your packages (even from the Novell staff)
* security updates for released distributions (with the help from SUSE
  Security Team)
* more testing (during openSUSE beta phase)

... and disadvantages:
* packman maintainer will no longer be the only one who is altering the
  package
* packman repository could become easier target, because it would have
  higher ratio of "problematic" packages

These are the issues that came to my mind right now, but I might have
mised some. I am looking forward for your feedback!

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
Package Maintainer                                Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144                                     19000 Praha 9, CR
prusnak[at]suse.cz                                http://www.suse.cz