[packman] Packman and Contrib cooperation
prusnak at suse.cz
Thu Dec 18 18:02:31 CET 2008
Hi Packman folks!
You might be aware of Contrib - Universal openSUSE Repository for 3rd
party Packages. For those who are not, I recommend reading
http://en.opensuse.org/Contrib wiki page.
I have an idea, or proposal if you wish: what do you think of moving
all the "clean" packages from Packman to this new and shiny Contrib
By "clean" packages I mean packages:
* which do not break rules for putting inside BuildService
(no patent issues, no "hacking" tools, etc.)
* which fulfill requirements for putting inside Contrib
(no file clash with Factory, etc.)
* with no dependencies outside of Factory and/or Contrib
This will have following advantages:
* more maintainers for your packages (even from the Novell staff)
* security updates for released distributions (with the help from SUSE
* more testing (during openSUSE beta phase)
... and disadvantages:
* packman maintainer will no longer be the only one who is altering the
* packman repository could become easier target, because it would have
higher ratio of "problematic" packages
These are the issues that came to my mind right now, but I might have
mised some. I am looking forward for your feedback!
Best Regards / S pozdravom,
Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
Package Maintainer Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144 19000 Praha 9, CR
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: Attached Message Part
More information about the Packman