[packman] New k3b package

Quentin Denis quentin.denis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:48:44 CEST 2007

Am Dienstag, 27. März 2007 22:22:20 schrieb Herbert Graeber:
> Am Dienstag, 27. März 2007 schrieb Rainer Lay:
> > in suse/testing/k3b, I copied a new package.
> > In this package, there are the codec plugins, which are missing in the
> > openSUSE buildservice package of rpm.
> > As I mentioned before, my plan is to not provide an additional k3b
> > package, but to add the missing codecs in a seperate package.
>
> Neverthless the k3b package should be provided, too, because it is packman
> policy to rely on the original distribution and packman itself only.
I agree to Herbert, k3b should be provided on packman. I'd love to see a
full-featured package maintained on Packman, as it always has been.
You must not base on KDE:/Backports, just make the packages compatible and
there will be no issues. I personnally do not use that repo because it's
simply not interesting with its small offer; and I guess enough packman users
do the same.
So, IMHO (and I know darix will not agree), duplicate packages do not matter
as long as they are long proven ones on Packman. Ceding packages does not
make sense, however, building new ones that are already available in BS is
stupid.

> But it would not be neccessary to update the packman k3b and the packman
> codecs on every update in the KDE:Backports repository, at least as long as
> there are no changes in plugin interfaces. So k3b should work for our users
> if they dpo not use KDE:Backports and if the do, even when the k3b package
> there has been updated.
>
> > Please test this rpm together with the k3b.rpm from the buildservice
> > (http://repos.opensuse.org/KDE:/Backports/ ...)
>
> I have checked the MP3 codecs. Encoding MP3 works, decoding not. K3b gives
> a message the it cannot find libmad at start.
>
> > I build this package with a patch against the original spec file. This
> > patch is in this directory, too.
>
> The package k3b-mad should be obsoleted and provided by k3b-packmancodecs.
*-packmancodecs seems very personnalized if it does not refer to BS anymore. I
would simply call it -plugins, containing mad and all that multimediastuff
missing in SUSE.

regards,
Quentin