[packman] libxine1,Version: 1.1.4-0.pm.0 installation

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Wed Mar 14 11:36:57 CET 2007

Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2007 01:01 schrieb michael lees:

> I need help with getting multimedia things like mp3 playing and
> Realplayer and wma functionality and wmv functionality and the like
> working in my opensuse 10.2 installation.  I discovered the packman
> site looking for help on line noting that it had resources to help
> me. However not being extremely conversant with command line and not
> having the time to keep up to date, I find myself here asking for
> help. I think from what I've read that I need to install the below
> file. Unable to find installation help on this site nor on the web
> here I am to request help getting this chore done.
>
> libxine1 Version: 1.1.4-0.pm.0
>
> I would like to be pointed to a how to to get this done and any other
> relative how to's to get me able to run multimedia apps that would
> allow me to read, view, and listen to what a M$ user would have
> available on that platform!!!

Open the YaST Control Center.
Add a new Installation Source, with one of the Packman mirrors (a list
of Mirrors you can find at
ftp://packman.links2linux.de/pub/packman/MIRRORS, just add /suse/10.2
to the URL you want to use)
Now you can use Packman packages like you do with Packages from your
CD/DVD, YaST will solve all dependencies.
If you are using kaffeine, totem or xine for Playback, just search for
it in the YaST Software installation section, klick on it to update it
to the packman version and the rest will be installed automaticly.

Most WMV/WMA files should work with the free ffmpeg based solution which
is included into the libxine package, but some make trouble. You can
also install the w32codec-all package, which solves most of this
problems. Even with this package you will not be able to play DRM
protected files/streams. There is no known solution for playback DRM
protected WMV/WMA files on Linux.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/