[packman] [PM] vlc 0.8.6c

Richard S. teetrinker at gmx.net
Thu Jun 28 10:52:26 CEST 2007

Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I write to you as the Package maintainer of VLC, associated to the VLC project directly.
>
> I was wondering if you think it's useful to have the VLC in the PM repos, as the VLC project maintains a complete repo by themself and it looks a bit like somebody is wasting energy.

I am not sure, but the rpm(dependency) used by the vlc repro are
probably not compatible with the rpm from the PackMan repro.
If someone use a PackMan rpm which needs libffmpeg there could be trouble.
> In plus, I'm not sure about your packages, lately in the VLC forum there are many times reports about broken VLC and almost all the time it was stripped down to the PM version; after suggesting the users to take the VLC from the VLC repo, their problems vanished. Can we try somehow to coordinate our work? Or what are your thoughts about this situation?

The reason for the mentioned problems might be that the both repros are
incompatible, didn't test it. That are only my thoughts about this as a
Packman user.

If you can use both repo  at once  there should be no need  for a
PackMan  rpm, but if this is not the case a vlc rpm by PackMan is needed.

Regards
Richard