[packman] [PM] libgpod 0.4.2 (SuSE 10.2/x86_64)

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Wed Jan 17 15:09:30 CET 2007

>> I don't know about Antonio, but since tonight I have other problems:
>> amarok from suser-guru uses libgpod.so.0. When apt starts to upgrade
>> libgpod, it wants to remove amarok at the same time because
>> libgpod.so.0 is missing.
>>
>> This is for SUSE 10.0, btw, the case might be different for other SUSE
>> versions.

PB> Well, yes, libgpod developers deserve a kick in the ass.
PB> They just made it incompatible on a minor release (0.4.0->0.4.2).

PB> I'm currently building amarok-1.4.4-109 for SUSE 10.1 and 10.0 so
PB> "fixed" amarok packages will be available soon.

Great! Thanks a lot for your effort, that's really appreciated.

RL> If not, just stay with libgpod from SuSE.
>>
>> But that would need special configuration of apt, to lock to the older
>> version, wouldn't it?

PB> Just don't use "apt-get upgrade" to upgrade *everything* ;)

Well, not really, but almost. :-) My setup does an apt-get -s
dist-upgrade each night; thereby downloading all potential updates and
sending me an email so that I can see if updates are necessary. (I
miss apticron from Debian, though, that also analyses the changelogs
and includes an excerpt of them in the email.) Then I can call a
command to roll out the updates on all systems -- or I don't call it
when I see that amarok would be removed. ;) I have furthermore blocked
some really essential packages from dist-upgrade where I know in
advance that I'll postpone their installation for further tests
(kernel, glibc, xserver, etc.).

Actually, that setup is the reason why I didn't migrate to smart up to
now; I would have to redo that setup and configuration work and
currently don't find the time to do it. Sigh, so much to do, so little
time.

Anyhow, thanks again for your quick response and your work,

	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org
Roedermark, Germany