[packman] Re: [PM] wxWidgets 2.8.3 (openSUSE 10.2/x86_64)

Michael Gerdau mgd at technosis.de
Fri Apr 13 14:52:01 CEST 2007

Hi Toni,

the new packages are still synchronizing (or at least that's what
my browser tells me) so I have not yet checked them out.

> > As a sidenote:
> > The patch that renames wx-config to wx-config-2.8 (to avoid the
> > conflict with SuSE-wxGTK-package) prevents wxWidgets-2.8 being
> > correctly identified by at least the pgadmin3-1.6.3 configure;
> > therefor I had to manually rename the corresponding files to
> > make it work.
> no you should not do this !
> use
> ./configure \
> 	--with-wx-config=/usr/bin/wx-config-2.8
> then the configure should detect the right headers and libs,

Unfortunately this is not correct. pgadmin3-1.6.3 configure looks
for a file named wx-config and that not parameterizable. Only the
location where it is searched can be adjusted.

> or check the output of wx-config-2.8 how to pass this in the configure for
> pgadmin3 as CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS

Looking into configure seems to indicate there is no way around
providing a file named wx-config ... somewhere.

> ./configure --help should give you an idea. If I find the time I'll have a
> look at the pgadmin3 configure and give you more detailed infos how to
> compile with wxWidgets.

Thank you for that offer. However I have it already working.
The steps were:
- erase wxGTK-devel
- manually cp wx-config-2.8 wx-config
- replace libxml2-2.6.26 (as of openSUSE 10.2) with yesterdays
  cvs-snapshot which claims to be libxml2-2.6.27.

> otherrwise wxWidgets and wxGtk cann't be installed at the same time. And I
> have not the time to recompile all programs against the wxWidgets-2.8

I have investigated this a bit further and it turns out that only
wxGTK-devel (as of openSUSE 10.2) and wxWidgets-devel do exclude each
other. Without installing (i.e. after removing wxGTK-devel) I have
not come across a problem and both base packages (i.e. not -devel)
reside happily in parallel on my machine.

I therefor kindly ask to reconsider the decision to rename wx-config
to wx-config-2.8.

> libxml2 is a problem, because a lot of packages ar eusing this library. So we
> have to be careful ...

I understand that. That's why I wrote "experimental" as I'm not yet
confident this cvs-snapshot package it will work all the time :)

> But you can contact Marc Schiffbauer for a packman account. Help is always
> welcome !

I'll have to think about that - I'm not yet sure I'm really providing
quality packages and then there is the problem with guaranteeing I'd
be able to provide at least _some_ support.

Anyway, I'll think about it.

Best wishes,
Michael
--
 Technosis GmbH, Geschäftsführer: Michael Gerdau, Tobias Dittmar
 Sitz Hamburg; HRB 89145 Amtsgericht Hamburg
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd at technosis.de